I was out shopping today and happened to, once again, walk by the St. Ives Apricot Scrub product and think to myself… should I purchase this product? I always opt for the best and most affordable face products I can get my hands on, yet there was always one thing stopping me from St. Ives, considering there has been lots of talk on whether or not St. Ives Apricot Scrub is or isn’t bad for your face’s skin. Truth is, it is actually a long-term harsh and damaging exfoliating product. The products are made out of crushed apricot seeds which tend to have sharp edges. While exfoliating your skin, these sharp edges can cause microscopic cuts through your skin, exposing it to more bacteria and possibly causing more future breakouts. While this product may make your face feel smooth and soft now, the long term effect of using this product can cause your skin to thin and become much more sensitive. This makes it much more weaker to take being exposed to the suns rays. It is actually stated that the product is so harsh for your skin, using it daily is a definite no-no!
So, you want to exfoliate your skin, yet keep it healthy and happy…for now, and forever? Try making an exfoliating product at home. One of my favorite home-made facial exfoliating recipes (from beauty.about.com) uses aspirin which helps spot treat pimples and works to clears acne/patches.
* 1-3 aspirin
* Coffee cup or glass cup
* Shallow dish
* Warm honey (runny honey), moisturizer made for the face or natural oil such as almond, olive or coconut
* Depending on the amount of coverage needed, use 1-3 aspirin.
* Crush the aspirin into small pieces by rolling a coffee cup or glass cup over them. Place aspirin in a shallow dish.
* Stir in a few drops of water to help the aspirin dissolve into a paste.
* Add warm honey, moisturizer or a bit of oil (almond, olive or coconut works). Stir well.
* Apply as a mask or spot treat the pimple or itchy area. Allow to dry. Wash off after 10 minutes.
If you’re not exactly up for prepping your own at home, or just don’t have much time for it, Lush Cosmetics is my favorite go-to brand for handmade cosmetics and skin care. The Cup O’Coffee is such an incredible exfoliating product for the face + body! The rich coffee bean scent really makes it a must have for a morning shower. You’ll be feeling awake with smooth skin in no time!